Questions? Call Us
(Mon - Fri: 9am - 7pm EST)
How to start beekeeping
There are many hobbies out there that people undertake to pass time and take time out.
One of the hobbies that you may not be familiar with but is growing in trend is Beekeeping. Yes that’s right, nurturing bees and bee hives.
What is beekeeping?
In essence, beekeeping is the practice of nurturing bees in a environment that they can flourish and produce a bee hive. Most people that keep bees do this for honey which is a byproduct that the bees produce once they have built a hive.
How do I start beekeeping?
In order to start beekeeping, you will need a few things:
- An understanding of bees: You can easily find information about this on YouTube or online by reading blogs or books or take a course.
- Protective clothing: gloves and a veil and a head to toe protective suit.
- A bee hive: This is where you will keep and house the bees. A wax coated bee hive is a good choice to get started
- A smoker: that helps to keep the bees calm when you are around and in the hive.
- A hive tool: This will enable you to work inside the hive and move parts around easily.
- Bees: Of course you need bees but there are several varieties that you may want, so you can research the types of bees first and then decide which ones to purchase.
Is Beekeeping easy?
There will be a learning curve at first like most new hobbies you may undertake but once you are familiar with all the things required to keep bees, on average you’ll need to spend an hour or two each week maintaining the bees.
Most beekeepers are very passionate about their hobby. It’s a way to connect with nature, help keep the ecosystem going of bees and pollination and best of all producing some delicious honey!